A note on Poets in the Akananuru

George Hart glhart at BERKELEY.EDU
Sun Apr 18 20:22:19 UTC 2010

Dear Palaniappan,

I think we have pretty much exhausted this and I very much appreciate your ideas and responses.  While I don't agree with all of your points, they have provided much food for thought -- and nothing could be more valuable than that.  As for the use of -m, I would go no further than Kuṟuntokai 234, the famous evening poem, where the "m" sounds are clearly meant to evoke the suffering of the talaivi when evening comes and to contrast with the description of the dawn, with its "k" "ṭ" and "p" sounds.  Of course, m sounds don't always evoke sadness, but that doesn't mean poets don't sometimes use them that way (as in the poem above and the poem attributed to Pāri's daughters).  And yes, it's true that the phrase about conquering kings occurs elsewhere.  I believe the poets were imitating the oral literature of the Pāṇaṉs and Kiṇaiyaṉs, and like all oral literature, theirs must have had formulae (such as veṉṟeṟi muraciṉ vēntar).  The art of the poet lies in putting such lines -- which could be pedestrian in some contexts -- into the proper setting.  It's been claimed that the greatest line in English literature comes at the end of Lear: "Never, never, never, never, never."  (Don't know if this is the right punctuation).  In the mouth of a great actor, each of these "never's" means something different and more devastating than the one before.  Many thanks for an intriguing discussion!  George