Utopia / Dystopia

JKirkpatrick jkirk at SPRO.NET
Tue Apr 13 16:26:14 UTC 2010

A famous publication was Begam Rokeya Sakhawat Husain's
_Sultana's Dream_(1905)--a feminist utopia where all gender roles
are reversed.

Bankim Chandra Chatterji's _Anandamath_ could be viewed or
appreciated as a both a dystopian representation of British rule
and a utopian dream of Indian political freedom, although it's
technically not a utopia per se.

I've not read the book, but Ashish Nandy's  _Traditions, Tyranny,
and Utopias: Essays in the Politics of Awareness_. Delhi, New
York: Oxford UP, 1987. New York: Oxford UP, 1992 might have some
use for your query.

Then there is the Ramrajya theory--are there any texts--classical
or not-- exploring this utopian concept?

Best wishes,
Joanna K.

===================

Dear Indologists,

I am looking for possible distinctive descriptions of utopias /
dystopias in Indian literature. I hope to find something that
might parallel ideas in Plato's Republic or Thomas More's Utopia.

I am looking for descriptions of self-contained paradigmatic
societies- either ideal or wretched.

Any ideas would be most welcome.

I hope that wherever you are it is cooler than New Delhi!

Mary Storm

Mary Storm, Ph.D.
Academic Director and Lecturer
India: National Identity and the Arts