Unicode fonts for Ranjana/Lentsa

Paul G. Hackett ph2046 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Tue Oct 20 11:01:58 UTC 2009

Dear McComas,

Quoting McComas Taylor <McComas.Taylor at ANU.EDU.AU>:
> Can anyone recommend a Unicode font for Ranjana/Lentsa that will run
>  on a Windows system?

    I was looking into Ranjana fonts a couple of years ago.  The short
answer is that there are *some* fonts out there; the only ones I found
were "RanjanaLipi" and "PrachalitLipi":

http://www.ffonts.net/BISHOWSON2-Ranjana-Lipi-ISBN9993355933.font
http://www.guthi.org/1html/regular_html/fonts.htm

but the documentation was wanting.  I know that Xenotype Technologies
(http://www.xenotypetech.com) had been working on a Ranjana font, but
had provisionally mapped the script to the Tibetan section of Unicode
-- this was prior to Michael Everson's proposal for Ranjana to be
included in Unicode in it's own section. See:

http://www.unicode.org/pending/pending.html
(specifically http://std.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/wg2/docs/n3649.pdf)

I hope that helps, or is at least informative.

Best,

Paul Hackett
Columbia University