Ageusia

Stephen Hodge s.hodge at PADMACHOLING.PLUS.COM
Thu May 28 23:09:11 UTC 2009

Dear all,

I thank everybody who answered my query and made useful suggestions.

It is interesting that there is often no clear distinction between loss of
taste and loss of appetite ~ though naturally I suppose the latter does not
presuppose the former.  My context specifically highlights the loss of taste
aspect.  The sources (Tibetan and Chinese, as usual) I am investigating
suggest an underlying term that should comprise "burnt / parched / scorched
+ lips / tongue".  This most obviously suggests
vi'su.ka-jihvaa-taaluuna-ka.n.tha, but I am not sure if this also implies
the loss of taste that is required contextually.  I had wondered if there
was another Skt term that could have been used here.

Best wishes,
Stephen Hodge