The Film Adi Shankaracharya

Birgit Kellner birgit.kellner at UNIVIE.AC.AT
Sun May 24 08:42:18 UTC 2009

Jonathan Silk wrote:
> Dear Colleagues,
>
> I've just run across, entirely by accident, the feature film Adi
> Shankaracharya, which boasts that it is the first (maybe only?) feature film
> in Sanskrit. Has this film been discussed somewhere by indologists, or
> others especially from the point of view of the Sanskrit? I confess I only
> watched a few minutes of it, and while there's a lot of chanting of
> classical texts, there is also some speaking ("conversational Sanskrit?") as
> well (is this the place to confess?--thank goodness for the subtitles!). I
> am also curious whether the film-makers tried to get the cultural contexts
> right....
>
> Best regards, Jonathan Silk

Jonathan,

the "Encyclopedia of Indian Cinema" (Willemen/Rajadhyaksha) also has
this as the first Indian film made in Sanskrit.

The encyclopedia entry tells the plot, and continues:

"Continuing his effort after "Hamsa Geethe" (1975) towards a brahminical
revivalism, Iyer claimed to have made the film in Sanskrit to do justice
to the abstraction of Shankara's philosophical thought. The film does
away with the miracle scenes typical of the genre and deploys several
symbolic figures (e.g. death and wisdom are both personified). The
extensive musical track consists of Vedic chants. Iyer went on to make
two more Saint films featuring two of Shankara's main disciples,
Madhavacharya (Kannada, 1986) and Shri Ramanujacharya (Tamil, 1989). The
film did not get a commercial release in India but apparently did very
well in foreign markets." (p. 425)

Best,

Birgit