The Film Adi Shankaracharya

Peter Wyzlic pwyzlic at UNI-BONN.DE
Sun May 24 09:15:14 UTC 2009

Am 24.05.2009 um 09:58 schrieb Jonathan Silk:

> I've just run across, entirely by accident, the feature film Adi
> Shankaracharya, which boasts that it is the first (maybe only?)
> feature film
> in Sanskrit. Has this film been discussed somewhere by indologists, or
> others especially from the point of view of the Sanskrit?

There is a German Ph.D. thesis on this film:

Mangold, Sylvia: Ādi Śaṅkarācāryaḥ : G. V. Iyers Filmkommentar
zur Religionsphilosophie Śaṅkaras. - Frankfurt am Main [et al.] :
Lang, 1994. - XII, 248 p. - (Theion ; 4). - ISBN 3-631-47352-4
Frankfurt (Main), Univ., Diss., 1993

By the way, the complete movie is available on Google Video:

All the best
Peter Wyzlic
--
Institut für Orient- und Asienwissenschaften
Abteilung für Indologie