The Film Adi Shankaracharya

Jonathan Silk kauzeya at GMAIL.COM
Sun May 24 07:58:10 UTC 2009

Dear Colleagues,

I've just run across, entirely by accident, the feature film Adi
Shankaracharya, which boasts that it is the first (maybe only?) feature film
in Sanskrit. Has this film been discussed somewhere by indologists, or
others especially from the point of view of the Sanskrit? I confess I only
watched a few minutes of it, and while there's a lot of chanting of
classical texts, there is also some speaking ("conversational Sanskrit?") as
well (is this the place to confess?--thank goodness for the subtitles!). I
am also curious whether the film-makers tried to get the cultural contexts
right....

Best regards, Jonathan Silk
--
J. Silk