The Film Adi Shankaracharya

mkapstei at UCHICAGO.EDU mkapstei at UCHICAGO.EDU
Sun May 24 08:35:46 UTC 2009

I saw it many years ago, but I recall that
my impression was that it followed a
simplified version of the story-line
of Saaya.na-Maadhava's Zrii-ZaNkara-Digvijaya
and that, for all intents and purposes, it
treated the brahmanical milieu of Kerala as
not needing much social-historical adjustment
(which, for all I know, may be roughly the truth).

(For the flip-side of this view of brahmanism down south,
there's always Anathamurthy's novel Samskara and the film
Girish Karnad based on it...)

Matthew T. Kapstein
Numata Visiting Professor of Buddhist Studies
The University of Chicago Divinity School

Directeur d'études
Ecole Pratique des Hautes Etudes, Paris