Ancient Aramaic Documents from Bactria : published or not ?

Christophe Vielle christophe.vielle at UCLOUVAIN.BE
Fri May 15 09:18:10 UTC 2009

Dear Colleagues

Is this long-waited book now published and available or still not ?

Christophe Vielle

Title: Ancient Aramaic Documents From Bactria: 4th Century B.c.e.
Author: Joseph Naveh, Shaul Shaked
ISBN 1874780749
ISBN-13 9781874780748
Binding: Hardcover
Publisher: Khalili Collections
Number of Pages: 224
Language: English

First publication of a group of thirty documents
on leather in Imperial Aramaic, dating to the
fourth century B.C.E. and reflecting the practice
of the Achaemenian administration in Bactria and
Sogdiana. Eighteen inscribed wooden sticks, for
use as tallies, dated to the third year of King
Darius Ill, are also included. They are
considered to be the second most important
discovery of its type known.
Two of the leather documents relate to the fall
of the Persian Empire: one mentions Bessus, the
usurper of the Persian throne, travelling to
Warnu (Greek Aornos); the other is a long list of
supplies in the year 7 of King Alexander. In
addition to their valuable historical contents,
the documents enrich our knowledge of Aramaic and
its lexicon. The documents are given in Aramaic
with translation, introduction, commentary and
glossary. The volume is lavishly illustrated.

http://www.khalili.org/research-ic-aramaic.html
["2005"]
http://www.flipkart.com/ancient-aramaic-documents-bactria-joseph/1874780749-00x3fu4q4c
["Publishing Date: 01-2008"]
http://www.infibeam.com/Books/info/Joseph-Naveh/Ancient-Aramaic-Documents-from-Bactria-4th-Century/1874780749.html
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ancient-Aramaic-Documents-Bactria-Collection/dp/1874780749
["This title has not yet been released. You may
pre-order it now and we will deliver it to you
when it arrives -  Publisher: Khalili Collections
(18 Dec 2009)"]

>>Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 18:55:03 +0200
>>From: Steve Farmer <saf at safarmer.com>
>>Subject: [Indo-Eurasia] Update: Ancient Aramaic Documents from Bactria
>>

>>Dear List,
>>
>>Back in 2005 we discussed on the List the recent finds of
>>Achaemenid-era Aramaic texts from Bactria -- really critical to
>>understanding the spread of writing to Central Asia and, presumably, to
>>NW India as well.
>>
>>The manuscripts in the collection were to be edited by Joseph Naveh and
>>Shaul Shaked, and were announced in a tantalizing précis by Shaked that
>>came out in 2004:

Shaul Shaked, Le satrape de Bactriane et son
gouverneur: Documents araméens du IVe s.
avant notre ère provenant de Bactriane.
Conférences données au Collège de France 14 et 21
mai 2003 (Persika, 4), Paris: De Boccard, 2004. 62 pp. ISBN 2 7018 0170 2.

	https://eprints.soas.ac.uk/3201/

--

http://belgianindology.lalibreblogs.be