Translations into Sanskrit

Gary Tubb tubb at UCHICAGO.EDU
Mon May 4 13:10:06 UTC 2009

The appended message is forwarded to the list by request.

--Gary Tubb.

Dear Editor,

I have read with interest the postings on “Translations into Sanskrit
<http://listserv.liv.ac.uk/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0903&L=indology&D=1&O=D&F=P&P=21834>”
and would appreciate if you would post the following under that heading.

“In the 1950s and 1960s the Brahman Sabha of Girgaum, Mumbai undertook
to present every year a play in Sanskrit in which well known local
actors participated. These plays were well attended by the members of
the Sabha and their friends. I think around 10 plays were presented. Of
these at least 3 were translations of well known Marathi plays written
in late 1800s and early 1900s. They were Sangita Samshyakallolam by R.R.
Deshpande and Sangita Shaaradaa by Limaye (based on the Marathi plays of
the same name written by Govind Ballal Deval), Sangita Saubhadram by S.
B. Velankar (based on the Marathi play of the same name written by
Balwant “Annasaheb” Kirloskar). The original Marathi songs of these
plays were easily recognisable in their Sanskrit translations and could
be sung in the same raga.

Just to add, two more plays Bhartuhariyam (written by V. D. Gangal IAS)
and Kalidascharitam (written by S.B. Velankar) were also presented. I
have copies of all these plays except Sangita Sharada”.

Thank you

Dilip Chirmuley