Linear B texts

Steve Farmer saf at SAFARMER.COM
Mon May 4 15:16:41 UTC 2009

Asko Parpola writes,

> If the Mycenaeans had written their administrative documents on
> perishable material instead of clay, and all those thousands of
> texts of this type would have been lost (like all texts written on
> perishable material in Ashoka's empire have been lost, and
> evidently the Harappan administrative documents -- for it is
> difficult to imagine those large cities being managed without any
> accounting), would the remaining other types of Linear B texts be
> better evidence for Mycenaean literacy than what survives from the
> Indus Civilization?

> With best regards, "Ashok"

Dear "Ashok" -- and I do like the label,  :^)

This newest speculation claim doesn't answer the evidence I raised in
my post, Asko. First of all, we know for a fact that extensive urban
civilizations both in Eurasia and in the New World did very well
without writing -- both before the invention of writing and after.
The Mesopotamian and Minoan/Mycenaean court finance systems in fact
were apparently rather anomalous in premodern urban states. For
extensive discussion -- and much more can be said -- see M. Fragipane
et al. (12 named co-authors), _Arslantepe Cretulae: An Early
Centralized Administrative System Before Writing_ (Rome, 2007, 528
pp.), where this issue is developed at considerable length.

Also, not long after the Harvard Roundtable meeting where we first
met, in 2002, when Michael Witzel and I were first introducing our
non-script model, Carl Lamberg-Karlovsky (who was also there)
published a little paper, "To write or not to write," in _Culture
through Objects_, ed. Timothy Potts et al., Cambridge U. Press, 2003,
that discusses at some length non-literate civilizations existing
side-by-side with literate ones in premodern Eurasia. (I'll vastly
expand on this theme at our upcoming Kyoto meeting, in a talk
Michael, Richard Sproat, and I (with me presenting) will give,
entitled "The Collapse of the Indus Script Thesis, Five Years Later:
Massive Non-Literate Urban Civilizations of Ancient Eurasia". I
believe that the archaeologist Dan Potts, who of course knows Gulf
and Iranian archaeology better than anyone (see, e.g., _The
Archaeology of Elam_, 1999; and his many other studies), may talk
about similar topics.)

Finally, your invocation of Ashoka below doesn't help your argument.
All real literate civilizations, like Ashoka's, whenever they wrote
on perishable materials, also, and quite obviously, left extensive
texts behind on durable materials. There is no exception to that rule
that we know of in world civilizations. That's the key part of this
one (out of many) arguments we first collected in "Collapse of the
Indus Script Thesis" in 2004:

http://www.safarmer.com/fsw2.pdf

Of course one could claim that the Indus are the one exception! But
then the argument gets even more circular.....

I guess I should add at the end that I have often argued (in talks
you've attended too) that one special class of Indus inscribed
objects -- the rather crudely made so-called miniature tablets from
Harappa proper -- had economic uses of a type, as what I've
tentatively characterized (e.g., at the Harvard Roundtable in 2004;
also Kyoto 2005) as "vouchers" of a sort or as part of a "sacrificial
tithe system" in communal seasonal festivals. (None of this in print
yet.) But right or wrong -- I think others have made similar
suggestions -- that's independent of the "writing" issue.

Looking forward to seeing you in Kyoto in a few weeks. We have a new
proposal we plan to make in Kyoto for how all of us can collaborate
in a new, well financed, way to tap the data in the inscriptions in
innovative ways. We're hoping it will interest you.

Best wishes,
Steve