Translations from Tamil into Sanskrit (Re: Translations into Sanskrit

Whitney Cox wc3 at SOAS.AC.UK
Thu Mar 19 17:57:39 UTC 2009

I've been told that the Tamil Periyapuraa.nam of Ceekki_laar (ca. 1140
CE) was translated into Sanskrit as the "Sivabhaktavilaasa, attributed
to the sage Upamanyu and assigned a locus of attribution in the
Skandapuraa.na.  A brief look in some library catalogues (SOAS,
Chicago, BL) didn't turn up any references to this text, but there is
a Telugu translation (as the "Srii"sivebhaktavilaasamu, the details
available at the URL pasted below).

http://libcat.uchicago.edu/ipac20/ipac.jsp?session=12374I4M28801.170989&profile=ucpublic&uri=full=3100001~!6161913~!8&ri=5&aspect=subtab13&menu=search&source=~!horizon

Also, R. Vijayalakshmy established some years ago that the Tamil
Ciivakacintaama.ni served as the basis of a Sanskrit version of the
story of the Jaina kaamadeva Jiivandhara and not the other way around,
as had previously been thought.  The details of this Sanskrit text
aren't coming to me at the moment; see her 1981 publication A Study of
the Ciivakacintaama.ni (Ahmedabad: L.D. Institute of Indology).

Whitney Cox

--

Dr. Whitney Cox
Department of the Languages and Cultures of South Asia,