Translations from Tamil into Sanskrit (Re: Translations into Sanskrit

Jean-Luc Chevillard jean-luc.chevillard at UNIV-PARIS-DIDEROT.FR
Thu Mar 19 17:07:51 UTC 2009

If you are interested in translations from Tamil into Sanskrit,
you can have a look at the following book:

/Un texte tamoul de dévotion vishnouite: le Tiruppāvai d'Āṇṭāḷ/, Jean
FILLIOZAT, Institut Français d'Indology, Publication N°45, 1972

It contains:

-- an introduction [pp. vii-xxiii]

-- a bibliography [pp. xxiv-xxvii]

-- the (original Tamil) text of the /Tiruppāvai/, along with a French
translation [pp. 2-31]

-- notes [pp. 33-56]

-- the TIRUPPĀVAI SAṂSKṚTĀNUVYĀKHYĀNAM (by Śrīraṅgarāmānujasvāmi) [pp.
57-67]

-- a French translation ("Commentaire perpétuel sanskrit par
Śrīraṅgarāmānujasvāmi [pp.69-79]

-- the ŚRĪVRATAṂ (TIRUPPĀVAI)

-- a French translation (ŚRĪVRATA, LE VOEU DE FORTUNE) [pp. 87-92]

-- an INDEX [pp. 93-116]

In the introduction (p. xxii), Jean Filliozat writes:
"Le /Tiruppāvai/ a été aussi trois fois au moins traduit en sanskrit. ..."

He then gives details concerning the first 2 translations, included in
the book, and the third one, not included, which exists as a manuscript
in the EFEO library in Pondicherry (n° EFEO 64).

I should add that the /Tiruppāvai/ is dated by Kamil Zvelebil in the 8th
century. (/Lexicon of Tamil Literature/, Brill, 1995, p. 685)

-- Jean-Luc Chevillard
 (CNRS, Université Paris-Diderot Paris 7)