clinking, silent and slipping bangles

Dominic Goodall dominic.goodall at GMAIL.COM
Thu Mar 19 12:09:44 UTC 2009

As with images of bangles, there must be hundreds of literary passages
to which one could refer.  But does "bangle" in this project include
all the various ornaments that can be worn on an arm or a leg
(keyuura, valaya, a"ngada, nuupura, parihaa.taka, ma~njiira, ka.taka,
ka"nka.na, etc.) and all their various associations ?

Hearing the delicious clinking of bangles is clearly widely regarded
as a very high pleasure, as, for instance, this verse of the
Vairaagya"sataka attests.

agre giita.m sarasakavaya.h paar"svayor daak.si.naatyaa.h
pa"scaal liilaavalayara.nita.m caamaragraahi.niinaam|
yady astv eva.m kuru bhavarasaasvaadane lampa.tatva.m
no cec ceta.h pravi"sa sahasaa nirvikalpe samaadhau||

And such clinking is very often erotic ("S.r"ngaara"sataka):

etaa"s
caladvalayasa.mhatimekhalotthajha.mkaaranuupuraparaajitaraajaha.msya.h|
kurvanti kasya na mano viva"sa.m taru.nyo
vitrastamugdhahari.niisad.r"sai.h ka.taak.sai.h||

Conversely, when bangles fall off and are silent, this can be full of
poignant sadness (e.g. Siitaa's anklet in the Raghuvam"sa (13.23)):

e.saa sthalii yatra vicinvataa tvaa.m bhra.s.ta.m mayaa nuupuram ekam
uurvyaam|
ad.r"syata tvaccara.naaravindavi"sle.sadu.hkhaad iva baddhamaunam

And when they slip off this is likely to be a symptom of emaciation,
often the fifth stage of love (smarada"saa).
I wonder whether this last topos of bangles slipping off women and men
as a result of love first appears in Old Tamil poetry or in Sanskrit.
The following verse of Kaalidaasa (in act 3 of "Sakuntalaa) describes
King Du.syanta:

idam a"si"sirair antastaapaad vivar.nama.niik.rtam
ni"si ni"si bhujanyastaapaa"ngaprasaaribhir a"srubhi.h|
anabhilulitajyaaghaataa"nka.m muhur ma.nibandhanaat
kanakavalaya.m srasta.m srasta.m mayaa pratisaaryate||

But when does that topos first make its appearance in Sanskrit
literature?

Dominic Goodall
Ecole française d'Extrême-Orient ("French School of Asian Studies"),
Pondicherry