Language barriers --- financial barriers

Simon Brodbeck brodbecksp at CF.AC.UK
Thu Mar 19 00:09:38 UTC 2009

On Friday 6 March 2009, Jean-Luc Chevillard wrote: "The more languages one
knows, the better."

Few would disagree. But that is from the perspective of the consumer or
recipient of texts. Active researchers are also producers of texts, and must
produce them in one language or another. From this perspective, one's work
will be inaccessible to those who lack facility with the language in which
it is presented; and the choice of language is therefore a choice of
audience.

On the issue of financial barriers, it is an ongoing source of embarrassment
and bemusement to myself and many of my contemporaries that the journals and
publishers we have been led to believe are most highly esteemed by our
institutional elders (in whose hands our careers lie) tend to be those which
most of our desired audience cannot access. One cannot but suppose that, as
a result, most of the discourse that there is on indological subjects occurs
in contexts systematically ignorant of certain recent discoveries in
indology.

The UK Arts and Humanities Research Council has been funding a higher and
higher fraction of British indological research in recent years. My
perception is that the AHRC are increasingly concerned to ensure that the
projects they fund have outputs accessible beyond the university sector.
Perhaps, then, pretty soon, projects whose principal written outputs are not
to be made freely available online will simply not be publicly funded.

Simon Brodbeck
Cardiff University