Language barriers --- financial barriers

Paul Kiparsky kiparsky at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU
Thu Mar 19 03:51:06 UTC 2009

If you want your work to be accessible to linguistically disjoint
audiences, why write it up in just one language?   In smaller
European countries it is, or at any rate used to be, usual to publish
one's work both in English (or German) in an international journal,
and locally in the national language.  For English-speaking
Indologists, the comparable practice would be to publish both an
English version in an international journal or book, and a Hindi,
Tamil, or Sanskrit version in India.  As Jan Houben reported here on
March 3, summaries of the talks at the recent Third International
Sanskrit Computational Linguistics Symposium were made available both
in English and in Sanskrit.  The traditional philologists and pandits
who attended the conference welcomed the Sanskrit version as a step
to overcoming the language barrier and establishing mutual
understanding with English-speaking Indologists and computational
linguists.

Paul Kiparsky