announcement: proceedings of symposium PLUS summaries in skt

Allen W Thrasher athr at LOC.GOV
Wed Mar 4 23:36:13 UTC 2009

I would think that since Sanskrit creates abstractions with great ease, it would be more reasonable to invent words for these (at least arguably) abstract entities from Sanskrit roots and vocabulary rather than to borrow the English.   They aren't like Realien like "coffee."  Anyway, modern languages differ radically in the extent to which they expand vocabulary by borrowing rather than by translation, invention from native vocabulary, calqueing, or the like, don't they?

Allen Thrasher

"I wonder, does Dr. Srinivas Varakhedi and his team also have words for
computer, computational, unicode fonts, printer, word strings, parser,
recursive, and regular expressions? Personally, if I would have to do the
job, I would have considered these terms loan-words, as most living
languages do today. Same with submodern items like coffee and train.

Alexandra van der Geer
Athens"