paada-index of Paippalaadasa.mhitaa

Arlo Griffiths arlogriffiths at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Jun 5 11:09:04 UTC 2009

Dear Professor Bhattacharya,
A complete paada-by-paada electronic version of the text of the Paippalaadasa.mhitaa, largely based on your edition, is already available in my computer and can be made public as soon as all parts of the text have been published; alternatively, it could be made public already now containing for the time being only the published kaa.n.das 1-16. This electronic text of the Paippalaadasa.mhitaa can be used directly for all purposes served by a traditional paada-index, and many more. Moreover, the paadas of kaa.n.das 1-15 have already been included in Marco Franceschini's 2005 electronic re-edition of Bloomfield's Vedic Concordance (see www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~witzel/VedicConcordance/ReadmeEng.html). If I may be so bold, I would strongly urge you to focus your energy on completing the publication of the edition proper. A printed paada index is not a high priority in this digital age, but if it is really felt to be required, it can easily be generated automatically on the basis of the electronic text, i.e. without risk of incoherence between edited text and paada-index.
Best greetings from Jakarta,
Arlo Griffiths