resending question on chanted audio of Sanskrit declensions and conjugations?

George Cardona cardonagj at EARTHLINK.NET
Sat Jan 31 14:00:25 UTC 2009

In this connection, note that the prakriyaa show both orders. They give the vocative forms after three forms (sg., du., pl.) of the first triplet (nominative); e.g., v.rk.sas v.rk.sau v.rk.saa.h, v.rk.sa, v.rk.sau, v.rk.saa.h (Ruupaavataara), raama.h raamau raamaa.h, raama raamau raamaa.h (Siddhaantakaumudii).  The Ruupamaalaa, on the other hand, gives 'sukla 'suklau 'suklaa.h after the forms of the seventh triplet (locative). This does not mean that a syntactically distinct vocative set is recognized.  According to Paa.nini, the first triplet of endings (prathamaa) is introduced on condition that invocation (sambodhana) is involved (2.3.47: sambodhane ca [prathamaa]); the endings in question then bear the class name aamantritam (2.3.48: saamantritam), and the first or singular ending (ekavacanam) of the set is called sambuddhi (2.3.49: ekavacana.m sambuddhi.h).  George Cardona