resending question on chanted audio of Sanskrit declensions and conjugations?

Stella Sandahl ssandahl at SYMPATICO.CA
Sat Jan 31 12:19:30 UTC 2009

A couple of years ago I received this message from Madhav Deshpande.
I assume it is still available.

"A freely downloadable complete set of MP3 audio files in my voice
for my book "Samskrta-Subodhini: A Sanskrit Primer" (published by the
Center for South Asian Studies, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor,
Michigan) is now available at the following URL:

http://www.umich.edu/~iinet/csas/publications/sanskrit/audio.html

My students liked it very much.
Stella Sandahl

On 30-Jan-09, at 8:29 PM, Peter M. Scharf wrote:

> Yes, that's what I'm saying.  There is no vocative case in
> Sanskrit.  There are only 7 vibhaktis.  vocative is included in the
> 1st vibhakti so it should come immediately after it.
> Peter
>
> On Jan 30, 2009, at 4:59 PM, Dean Michael Anderson wrote:
>
>> Hi Peter,
>>
>> Are you saying that the vocative is chanted after the nominative?
>> I always thought it was at the end - after the locative.
>> Like this
>> Nominative - Prathama
>> Accusative - Dvitiya
>> Locative - Saptami
>> Vocative - Sambodhanam  <----------
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Dean
>>
>> Peter M. Scharf wrote:
>>> I haven't explored the many Indian sites that are now including
>>> Sanskrit instructional materials on their sites.  There may be
>>> some.  The tapes I have of one pandit reciting paradigms are good
>>> but his voice is not of the best quality.  If you find a pandit
>>> with a melifluous voice, clear pronunciation, and who recites in
>>> the proper order:
>>>
>>> i.e. nominative sg., du., pl., vocative sg. du. pl, etc. for
>>> nominals
>>> 3rd sg. du. pl., 2nd. sg. du. pl. for verbs.
>>> It'd be a good additiona I'm sure.
>>>
>>> Yours,
>>> Peter

>>> Peter M. Scharf                           (401) 863-2720 office
>>> Department of Classics             (401) 863-2123 dept.
>>> Brown University
>>> PO Box 1856                               (401) 863-7484 fax
>>> Providence, RI 02912                Scharf at brown.edu
>>> http://www.brown.edu/Departments/Classics/people/facultypage.php?
>>> id=10044