On many languages, book circulation, reading and time

Dominik Wujastyk ucgadkw at UCL.AC.UK
Wed Feb 25 17:14:13 UTC 2009

With Professor Pandurangi's agreement, I forward a lightly abbreviated
form of some remarks he made to me earlier today, that raise good
questions about models of publishing, the cost and distribution of books,
problems of scholarship across language boundaries, etc.

---

> On Wed, 25 Feb 2009, veeranarayana Pandurangi wrote:

[...]

But the important thing is the barrier of language. It seems everybody is
writing is every language: Kannada, Tamil, Telugu, Hindi, Bengali,
English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, not to forget the remarkable
scholarship in Japanese.  I don't know how many more are there are.

How could anybody read and understand all these languages?  Hence there is
an urgent need to do something on this front. It is really difficult. For,
me, personally, writing something in German or French is like writing
something very important in my own language i.e. Kannada: most of the
people in North America and India don't understand it. It will not reach
the target.

If any author thinks his French or German book should be known by all the
heads of the departments in India, then really it is totally impossible.
In India there are still thousands of people writing and reading Sanskrit
texts. But one cannot expect his theory to be popular here in India. He
should make it reach the majority of Indian scholars either by writing in
readable Sanskrit or readable English. It should reach Indian universities
in affordable price surely not be sold in Euros. It certainly reaches the
people.

Of course I agree there is language compulsion in every country. German
people need to write in German. I know otherewise they will not be read in
Germany. But what he will achieve? How many German people will be reading
his book. How many people have read Prof. Gerschheimer's (sic? but, sorry)
Shaktivada (what I am working on now) [French] translation? It is a big
question. May be four or five? Then why to write it?

How many things we have yet to read? This is very important question Prof
Slaje has raised. Should every head of Dept of Darshans read all the stuff
of Middle Indic (what it means?). There is barrier. We have been reading
all the life and still completed nothing more than a handful of works.
Reading, seriously, is somehow is very difficult task.  I hope I will not
be able to read not more than three or four works in my future life (I am
36 now). Reading, as practised for centuries in India, is really very
comprehensive.  One man can understand only a few works completely if
works whole of his life for that.

Sorry, it is too much[....]

Thanks, [...]

Veeranarayana