frequencies

Dipak Bhattacharya dbhattacharya2004 at YAHOO.CO.IN
Tue Feb 17 13:48:51 UTC 2009

17 feb 09
I am not responsible for the grotesque appearance of the mail. Barring A.Lubotsky's for A.Lubotsky there was no error in the letter by me. Something should be done about that.
DB

--- On Tue, 17/2/09, Alexandra Vandergeer <geeraae at GEOL.UOA.GR> wrote:

From: Alexandra Vandergeer <geeraae at GEOL.UOA.GR>
Subject: Re: frequencies
To: INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk
Date: Tuesday, 17 February, 2009, 7:12 PM

Thanks, Dipak, for your intensive reply to my humble question!

> A few hours' intensive work with Grassmann's Woerterbuch zum
RigvedaΒ may
> give a picture of the Rgveda regarding frequency. Grassmann also notes
the > immediately related words. AsΒ a source material more spread out
in time
> and space (and notΒ informing the context) will be the VVRI Sa.mhitaa
> IndexΒ The task too willΒ be more time consuming with it. I have no
access
> to the new index by A.Lubotsky'sΒ and cannot tell how far and
whether at
> all it develops upon Grassmann.
> Kuiper gives some statistics ofΒ words of non-Vedic origin in Aryans in
> the Rigveda, 1991, AmsterdamΒ selectively but with precision, and
> obviously, often without reference toΒ the parts of speech or context.
> Hoffmann had the habit of giving statistics relating to the words he dealt
[etc etc]
> All the statistically surveying studies known to me are mostly specific
on > meaning, form, mytheme etc and many belong to the level of
text-study.

      Check out the all-new Messenger 9.0! Go to http://in.messenger.yahoo.com/