frequencies

Jonathan Silk kauzeya at GMAIL.COM
Tue Feb 17 14:38:17 UTC 2009

Just a quick note (in addition to correcting the misprint pointed out by
Jan--yes, of course, linguist!): Whether or not one wants to include the
lexicon of Buddhist texts as "Sanskrit"--and there was long ago more than
one discussion about this, about whether we also want to speak of Jaina
Sanskrit, architectural Sanskrit and so on--the language of these texts is
not in any sense "derived from Pali". While the two are related, to be sure,
and some portion of Buddhist(ic) Sanskrit vocabulary may have been borrowed
or adapted from Middle Indic (--that is, *some* Buddhist[ic] Skt is
'Sanskritized Prakrit'), I am not aware of any case in which it can be shown
that the Middle Indic in question is Pali (but I have not looked into
this--has anyone?).

This is slightly off the topic, but the point is that if one wants to decide
to exclude particularly Buddhist lexica from a lexicon of Skt, the grounds
for this cannot be that the words are not Skt.

--
J. Silk
Instituut Kern / Universiteit Leiden