Font/Print Problems

Fitzgerald, James James_Fitzgerald at BROWN.EDU
Sat Aug 29 06:27:25 UTC 2009

Sorry for being fuzzy earlier. My comments WERE apropos Word and I
should have written "Tools/Options/Compatability". Within that dialog,
it's the "Reccomended Options for:" drop-down box that gives you the
different choices. The unicode font within a document has worked fine
for me in Word as long as that document is set to have compatability
with Word 2000 or later. Older documents not so set have font spacing
problems.  Best, Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: Indology [mailto:INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk] On Behalf Of
Fitzgerald, James
Sent: Saturday, August 29, 2009 1:33 PM
To: INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk
Subject: Re: Font/Print Problems

Hi Jarrod,

When I first switched to Unicode years ago (using MS's own Arial Unicode
font) while using Windows 2000 and probably Word 2000 I had a similar
problem, even with on-screen display. Someone instructed me to go to
"Tools/Compatibility" and ensure compatability with Office 2000 was set.
This may not help you at all today, but this "compatability" variable
was something I had never encountered and still have never seen much
mention of in general discussions. It solved my problems then and I must
resort to it very now and then, when opening old .doc files, some .rtfs,
etc. But as I said, in my cases the extra spacing showed up/shows up on
the screen as well as in print.

All the best, Jim