cha

Dominik Wujastyk ucgadkw at UCL.AC.UK
Fri May 23 16:39:50 UTC 2008

> cataloguing information on it to hand; in fact I should be
> very grateful if anyone who might have suggestions about how
> to acquire MSS from Jaisalmer could contact with off-list, as
> I’m very eager to get digital photos of this early and
> important source.

Join the queue!  This is one of those famous libraries that has treasures,
but that nobody can get into (+ Woolner collection, Anup collection).
Apparently there are five trustees, elders of the Jain community, who each
hold a key to a separate padlock on the library.  So you have to get all
five men together in Jaisalmere, all willing to open up.  So it never
happens.

One of the few people who has worked on MSS from the
Jaisalmere Jnanabhandar was Esther Solomon, who edited three early Samkhya
commentaries from amazingly early and important Jain MSS from the
collection (Matharavritti etc., I think).

About 10 years back, I heard rumours that someone had got into
the Jnanabhandar with a photocopy machine and that copies were
circulating.  But I never had concrete information from this.  Perhaps
someone else knows more?

Best,
Dominik