Etymology of Bali, PiNDa

George Hart glhart at BERKELEY.EDU
Wed Jul 16 19:38:34 UTC 2008

Two words that occur fairly commonly in early Tamil are pali (Skt.
bali) and piNTam (Skt. piNDa).  Both of these seem associated with
local practices -- not the sort of Vedic or Hindu religion mostly
borrowed from the North.  Neither seems to have an IE origin.  Turner
thinks bali might be connected with the word for "strength" and he
says piNDa, because of its many forms, is apparently a borrowing.
Neither of these words is in the DED, and apparently Emeneau and
Burrouw didn't think they were Dravidian.  I don't have Mayrhofer at
hand.  Is there anything further to be said about these words?  If
they are borrowed (from Dravidian?), it would indicate that the Vedic
Aryans took some of the important elements of their religion from non-
Aryans.  I would note that, unlike bali, piNTa does have a plausible
Dravidian etymology (DED 4183 -- piRi, squeeze; piNTi, oilcake; the
root is even in Brahui).  George Hart