Bows in ancient India

George Hart glhart at BERKELEY.EDU
Sat Jul 12 01:04:32 UTC 2008

Dear Prof. Tieken,

This is indeed an excellent suggestion, and I thank you.  As with any
of the possible meanings I have uncovered, it has some problems.  In
viLimpu kaTTutal, the word viLimpu refers not to the wrist, as you
know, but to the edge of the wound (edge, of course, is one of the
meanings of viLimpu).  The word uriiiya (wear away, rub) would,
however, go very well with the notion of wrist -- I myself remember
wearing a wrist guard when practicing archery as a child.  The other
possibility I have come up with is that viLimpu might refer to the
area on the bow which the arrow rubs as it goes by (right above the
grip).  Here, viLimpu might make more sense, as it is in some way the
edge of the bow (while it's a stretch to make "edge" mean "wrist").
In Akam 281 we have vaan pooz val vil cuRRi noon cilai av vaar
viLimpiRku amainta ....kaNai.  The first part of this is quite unclear
-- apparently "having wrapped a large leather strap around the strong
bow (vil)" -- for shooting?  Or perhaps for carrying?  The second
part: "the arrow that is fitted to (or lies against, as you suggest)
the fine, long (or straight) viLimpu of the powerful bow (cilai)."
This raises a couple of questions: is a vil the same as a cilai, or
are they possibly two different kinds of bow?  Second, it seems to say
quite clearly that the viLimpu belongs to the bow (cilai), as there is
no other apparent way to construe "cilai."  This would seem to
preclude your otherwise excellent suggestion of "wrist,"  though of
course I remain open to any clarification.  I'm posting this on the
Indology list to express my thanks for your suggestion and to see
whether our discussion might occasion more responses.  George Hart