Bows in ancient India

Sudalaimuthu Palaniappan Palaniappa at AOL.COM
Sun Jul 27 01:29:12 UTC 2008

Dear  George,
We  have four words vIGku, viLimpu, urIi, and cilai that need to be
clarified.  Consider the word vIGku. The meanings given by Cologne Online Tamil Lexicon
for  vIGku-tal are:
1.  to increase in size; to become enlarged; 2. to swell; 3. to become
morbidly  inflamed and swollen; 4. to grow; 5. to be copious or excessive; to
increase; 6.  to be close, crowded; 7. to become tight and pressing; 8. to be taut
and not  slack; 9. to go up; 10. to become emaciated; 11. to have morbid
desires; 12.  to sleep
Of these, the right meaning is ‘to be taut and not slack’. It is the
affective counterpart of effective vIkku-tal.
vIkku-tal
1.  to tie up, bind; 2. to control, restrain; 3. to hinder; 4. to  strike
vIkku
1.  tying; 2. tightness; 3. beating
Both  vIGku and vIkku are listed in DEDR 5448a.
Consider  ciRupAN 222 which uses vIGku in connection with the loosening and
tightening of  the lute strings (am kOTTu ceRinta avizntu vIGku tivavin2)
The  bow string is tied at both ends of the wooden part of the bow resulting
in the  string being taut. Consider puRam 369.8-9 where vIGku-tal is
explicitly  associated with the bowstring.
vicaippuRu  val vil vIGku nAN ukaitta
kaNai  tuLi pozinta kaN akal kiTakkai
But  akam 89.10 associates vIGku-tal with cilai ( viLar  Un2 tin2Ra vIGku
cilai maRavar) which  is usually interpreted as generally referring to 'bow'. But
we also  have
naRRiNai  285.3 van2 kai kAn2avan2 ve cilai vaNakki
Here  cilai is bent which seems to suggest that the wooden portion is meant
by cilai.  .Thus both cilai (the wooden portion) and nAN (the bow string) of
the bow are  qualified using vIGku. Since both the wooden portion and the string
portion can  be considered as edges, we have to resolve which one we are
talking about as  viLimpu. For that we have to resolve the meaning of urIi in
viLimpu  urIi
urIi-tal  in akam 175 corresponds to uruvu-tal in modern Tamil with the
following  meanings. (See akam 331.2-4 where a tree branch is stripped off its
flowers by  bears)
uruvu-tal
1.  to unsheath, as a word; 2. to strip, as beads from a string, as leaves
from a  twig; 3. to massage, draw the hand down over a sprained part of the
body; 4. to  loosen or tighten a noose; 5. to pierce through, penetrate, as an
arrow, a  needle
The  action referred to here is partly or fully enclosing with the fingers
and moving  the hand along either the wooden portion or string portion of the
bow.
The  wooden portion of the bow is often compared to a shrimp in Tamil
Literature with  transverse wrappings on the bow compared to the transverse patterns
on the  curved shrimp.  An example is akam  96.1-2.
naRavu  uN maNTai nuTakkalin2 iRavu kalittu
pUTTu  aRu villin2 kUTTu mutal teRikkum
This  same information is presented in a different way in akam  281.5-7
vAn2  pOz val vil cuRRi nOn2 cilai
a  vAr viLimpiRku amainta novvu iyal
kan2ai  kural icaikkum virai celal kaTu kaNai
Here  vAr viLimpu can be interpreted either as a ’straight edge’ or ’edge
wrapped with  leather straps’. Depending on the interpretation, it can mean
either the bow  string or the wooden portion of the bow.
Now,  let us look at the etymology of cilai. DEDR 1574 has Ta. cilai ‘to
sound,  resound, roar, twang’ rage with the implied root *kil- with cognates in
SDRI and  SDR II. DEDR 2571 has Ta. cilai ‘bow and Ma. cila ‘bow’ with an
implied *cil-.  DEDR has no cognates in any other language. Even though DEDR has
thus separated  the words meaning ‘bow’ from the words meaning ‘to sound’, one
can argue that  they really belong together, the connection being provided by
the meaning ‘to  twang’. If that is accepted, then it is possible that cilai
originally referred  to the bow string (which twangs) and later came to refer
to the bow as a whole.  This is also supported by akam 69.14-16 where the bow
is described as having an  excellent sound.
maTa  mayil ozitta pIli vArntu tam
cilai  mAN val vil cuRRi pala mAN
ampu  uTai kaiyar araN pala nURi
Thus,  it is possible in akam 89.10, vIGku cilai really refers to the taut
bowstring  while in naRRiNai 285.3, cilai vaNakki refers to the bending of the
wooden  portion of the bow.
The  collocation of vIGku with a rope in maturaikkAJci 376 (vIGku piNi nOn2
kayiRu)  further supports this interpretation.
Thus  in my opinion, in akam 175.1, we have the cruel hunters sliding their
fingers  along the taut bowstring prior to shooting the arrows. (This means in
akam  281.6, vAr  should be interpreted as ‘long’.)
Interestingly,  the phrase ‘viLimpu urIi’ occurs in the post-Classical Jain
text, peruGkatai  2.5.165 (kOti pUntukil koytu viLimpu urIi), where the action
of women dressing  up the heroine with a saree is referred to. Here viLimpu
really refers to the  edge of the saree along which the woman slides her
fingers.
It  is unlikely ‘viLimpu’ refers to the wrist.
Regards,
S. Palaniappan
In a message dated 7/11/2008 8:05:10 P.M. Central Daylight Time,