More on Bangladesh and the Mus ée Guimet

John C. Huntington huntington.2 at OSU.EDU
Mon Feb 11 17:36:26 UTC 2008

Dear list members,

I received the Guimet catalog on Masterpieces of the art of
Bangladesh a week ago and spent some considerable time with it this
past weekend. For interested colleagues on the list, I provide a
brief review and, frankly, an appreciation of the catalog which fills
a nagging gap in modern literature on Eastern Indic /Banglasdeshi art.
Chefs-d'oeuvre du delta du gange" collections des musées du Bangladesh
Paris, Éditions de la Réunion des Musés nationaux, et Musée Guimet,
n.d. [2008]
ISBN:978-2-7118-5282-6

Available at:

http://www.Amazon.fr.com

There is much to be said  the organizers of the exhibition and for
the catalog and its authors.

Simply stated, it is a beautiful catalogue of a masterfully conceived
exhibition of some of the most beautiful art in the world. Also, from
a production standpoint, it is yet another high quality product of
Éditions de la Réunion des Musés nationaux, who produce some of the
most uniformly satisfying and beautiful catalogs anywhere in the world

The sections of it are:

Le pays
L'historie
Les religions
L'archéologie
Le patrimione
Catalogue (the main body of the works of art)
Glossaire
Bibliograpie

The first five sections, "Le pays" through "Le patrimonie,"  make an
excellent introduction at a popular level to Bangladesh and its
history with one unfortunate but understandable omission. Tantric
Buddhism, which was very widespread and accounted for vast amounts of
the Buddhist art surviving in Bangladesh is reduced to a partial
paragraph (p 61) with a trivial introduction.

As for the rest of the catalog, I have only one criticism and that is
probably my own idiosyncratic view—the catalog is primarily
descriptive and appreciative with little in the way of technical or
religious analysis. However, the authors of the Hindu entries are
better at the latter. Probably because I have a very different
approach to information dissemination in catalogues, I find the
approach to the entries in the catalogue text rather mundane for me,
but quite satisfactory at a "popular level" which is after all the
point of a major national museum holding an exhibition. Thus, my
scholarly disappointment at what the entries could have been can, and
probably should, be dismissed.

More importantly, several works of art are new to the scholarly world
at large and their presentation in the catalog is of critical
interest. Of particular importance is the over life size bronze image
of Vajrasattva from Mainamati. It is one of the very few large scale
metal Pala period images know to have survived, the Sultanganj Buddha
in the Birmingham Museum being the only other "intact" one that I am
aware of. Yet these large scale metal images are well known to have
existed (e.g., the Rajatarangini of Kalhana tells of Lalitaditya raja
returning from the Eastern Indian raids with tons of copper and a
large metal image of Buddha tied to the tusks of his elephant. The
metal was then cast into a Brihad copper image for his caitya which
we have calculated as possibly about 80 feet tall). to find an image
of the scale of the Vajrasattva is a major view into the art forms of
the day and, I suspect, an important comment on the rich economic
patronage of the Tantric Buddhists in the Bengal region.

Beyond the several previously unpublished objects, the major
scholarly value of the catalog resides in the absolutely glorious
photographs by Thierry Ollivier. He was responsible for the imaging
of the objects in the catalog proper, and each one is a true
masterpiece of the art of object photography. With very few
exceptions, I have seen and attempted to photograph virtually all of
the objects in the exhibition so I can speak first hand to the
difficulties involved. Ollivier has faced and overcome all of them
and has set the standard for all such photographs in the future!

Yet the exhibition was not to be! I share the great regret that must
be felt by the authors and participants in preparing the catalog must
feel. Yet as my friend and colleague in the Circle of Bliss
exhibition, Dr Stephen Markel, Curator of South Asian Art at the Los
Angeles County Museum of Art, once advised: "Exhibitions come and go—
the catalog of the exhibition is the lasting monument!"

John C. Huntington

John C. Huntington, Professor
(Buddhist Art and Methodologies)
<http://huntingtonarchive.osu.edu>