Buddhacarita 1,1-7 and 25-40 authorship

Christophe Vielle christophe.vielle at UCLOUVAIN.BE
Tue Feb 12 08:46:02 UTC 2008

Thank you very much, dear Prof. Hahn,
for these datas, including the recent reference that I did not know
(downloadable through the useful link given by Richard Mahoney).
So, if SN Chaudharii (1942) is the author of the rewriting of 1.1-7
(adopting in that case all Johnston's conjectures) and 25-40 (which
has to be confirmed since I have not the edition at hand), it is
surprising that some time later (1962) Mahanta S'rii Raamchandra Daas
S'astrii in his own "edition" states that he relies (for his
reconstruction) on Johnston's English translation and in the same
time proposes a different text for v. 1-7 and borrows from Chaudharii
for v. 20-25.
All this is probably not very important, except to identify the
original authorship of the conjectures.
With all my best wishes,
Christophe Vielle