privative a with finite verb

George Thompson gthomgt at COMCAST.NET
Wed Sep 26 17:56:50 UTC 2007

Hello George,

The un- in 'undo' is not a reflex of alpha privative, although maybe
there is some influence of the latter on it.  It is a weak form of the
Old English prefix on-, ond-, and-, meaning 'against'.  See anti-.

See for example the American Heritage Dictionary under un- (2), and in
the Indo-European Roots section, see *ant-.

Best wishes,
George Thompson