Query

Ashok Aklujkar aklujkar at INTERCHANGE.UBC.CA
Sun Jul 8 14:54:19 UTC 2007

Dear Patrick,

Your "sRmuka" could be a corruption of (more probable) or the original of
(less likely) "kRmuka" 'a particular plant/tree," which has given rise to
"kArmuka," the word for 'bow.' See Mayrhofer, KEWA p. I.262. I do not have
the Visnu-Smriti text with me to check the context.

a.a.

> From: Patrick Olivelle <jpo at UTS.CC.UTEXAS.EDU>
> Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2007 12:49:50 -0500

"... two words, one for an animal and one for a plant,... They are from the
Visnu-Smriti -- so may have a Kashimiri connection ... The first is
"caamara" at ViDh 50.33. ...  The second is "sRmuka" found in my best mss.
as also in a citation from Laksmidhara's Krityakalpataru. ...
Both these are the "lectio difficilor" and I want to go with them, if
only I can find their meanings!!<