Query

Patrick Olivelle jpo at UTS.CC.UTEXAS.EDU
Tue Jul 3 14:12:54 UTC 2007

Thanks to all who gave wise advice on my query regarding "caamara".
It turns out that the term (caamara, camara, caamarii) are used with
regard to the yak itself. Bob Goldman pointed to the passage in the
southern recension of the Ramayana (2.26.2, *660) where camara is an
animal alongside others. Mark Allon refered me to Jaataka VI..537f
where we have camarii/caamarii in a list of animals. And Diwakar
Acharya referred me to the Kumaarasambhava 1.13 where also caamarii
is used for the Yak, there clearly associated with mountains.

On sRmukha, I have just found that Laksmidhara (ZraadhakaaNDa, p. 51)
in another context glosses it as: jalaprabhavakhaadirazaakam" ? I am
not sure what "khaadira" (acacia) means in this context, but it is
probably vegetable growing in water.

Thanks all. Perhaps the Pune Dictionary people will take note.

Best,

Patrick