a recent publication on Greater Magadha in the culture of early India

Jan Houben jemhouben at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jul 2 21:45:06 UTC 2007

Greater Magadha: Studies in the culture of early India
by Johannes Bronkhorst
(Handbook of Oriental Studies, Section Two: India; vol. 19)
Leiden - Boston: Brill, 2007
XX, 414 pp

Introduction: The separate culture of Greater Magadha
Part I: Cultural features of greater Magadha
Chapter I.1 The fundamental spritual ideology
Chapter I.2 Other features
Chapter I.3 Conclusions to Part I

Part II: Brahmanism vis-à-vis rebirth and karmic retribution
Introduction
IIA Rebirth and karmic retribution hesitantly accepted
Chapter IIA.1 A Dharma Suutra
Chapter IIA.2 A portion from the Mahaabhaarata
Chapter IIA.3 The early upani.sads

IIB Rebirth and karmic retribution ignored or rejected
Chapter IIB.1 Rebirth and karmic retribution ignored
Chapter IIB.2 Rebirth and karmic retribution ignored or rejected

IIC Urban Brahmins

Part III. Chronology
Chapter III.0 Introduction
Chapter III.1 Linguistic considerations
Chapter III.2 The Vedic texts known to the early Sanskrit grammarians
Chapter III.3 The Vedic texts known to the early Buddhists
Chapter III.4 Some indications in late-Vedic literature
Chapter III.5 Urban versus rural culture
Chapter III.6 Conclusions to part III

Part IV: Conclusion
Discworld meets roundworld

Part V: Appendices
Appendix I: The antiquity of the Vedaanta philosophy
Appendix II: A Caarvaaka in the Mahabharata
Appendix III: Vedic texts known to Panini
Appendix IV: The form of the Rgveda known to Panini
Appendix V: Vedic texts known to Patanjali
Appendix VI: Brahmins in the Buddhist canon
Appendix VII: Brahmins in Gandhaara and surrounding arreas
Appendix VIII: Caarvaakas and the ;Saabarabhaa.sya