FW: Vedic texts?

Gregory Bailey Greg.Bailey at LATROBE.EDU.AU
Tue Jul 3 06:49:45 UTC 2007

Dear list,

A colleague has made the following request. Any replies would be helpful.

Cheers
Greg Bailey

 I'm looking for evidence of linguistic convergence with respect to clause chaining via converbs (=conjunctive participles) in South Asia. It would be useful to establish if this was a feature of the earliest Vedic texts. If it wasn't, then this suggests that clause chaining may have developed through contact with unrelated languages of the subcontinent, and especially if it is attested in later Sanskrit texts. My suspicion that this may be the case is raised by the fact that extensive clause chaining via converbs is not a feature of IE languages of Europe, but seems to be extremely common in the modern IA languages. Do you know where I can find some interlinearised and glossed Vedic texts to prove or dispel my suspicions?

---
Alec Coupe, PhD
ARC Postdoctoral Fellow
Linguistics Program