A question concerning the proposal to shut down the previous thread

gruenendahl gruenen at MAIL.SUB.UNI-GOETTINGEN.DE
Thu Jan 11 08:32:22 UTC 2007

(My pending replies to the thread in question will follow soon, provided it will not be
shut down.)

George Hart, Rosane Rocher, Matthew Kapstein and Herman Tull have argued that
the issues discussed in the thread on indology and "the disastrous ideology of the
'pure Aryan race'" "has been sufficiently explored in this list" (Hart).

Far be it from me to cast doubt on the wisdom of those whom I consider examples
of what detached scholarship really means. But according to the general
conventions of academic debate, an issue is considered "sufficiently explored" when
it has reached a point where a decision can be made.

May I therefore as the respected champions of this courageous proposal whether
they now consider Jan Houben's claim of a connection between indology and "the
disastrous ideology of the 'pure Aryan race'" as valid or invalid?

(Or may I take it from their eventual silence to my humble request that they prefer
not to bring this issue to the point of decision?)

satyam eva jayate

Reinhold Grünendahl

Dr. Reinhold Gruenendahl
Niedersaechsische Staats- und Universitaetsbibliothek
Fachreferat sued- und suedostasiatische Philologien
(Dept. of Indology)

37070 Goettingen, Germany
Tel (+49) (0)5 51 / 39 52 83
Fax (+49) (0)5 51 / 39 23 61
gruenen at mail.sub.uni-goettingen.de

FACH-INFORMATIONEN INDOLOGIE, GOETTINGEN:
http://www.sub.uni-goettingen.de/ebene_1/fiindolo/fiindolo.htm
In English:
http://www.sub.uni-goettingen.de/ebene_1/fiindolo/fiindole.htm

GRETIL - Goettingen Register of Electronic Texts in Indian Languages
http://www.sub.uni-goettingen.de/ebene_1/fiindolo/gretil.htm