Indology and "the disastrous ideology of the 'pure Aryan race'"

Herman Tull HWTULL at MSN.COM
Wed Jan 10 18:35:01 UTC 2007

Bravo, Prof. Hart!

Nonetheless, the discussion has been instructive.  It reminds us all of the importance of looking at scholars' moods and motivations in understanding any derived body of knowledge.

Herman Tull
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: George Hart<mailto:glhart at BERKELEY.EDU>
  To: INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk<mailto:INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk>
  Sent: Wednesday, January 10, 2007 11:01 AM
  Subject: Re: Indology and "the disastrous ideology of the 'pure Aryan race'"

  I would like to suggest humbly that this subject has been
  sufficiently explored in this list.  In any event, I thought the
  Indology list is concerns issues and ideas pertaining to classical
  Indian studies, whether in Sanskrit or, occasionally, in the other
  classical language of India, Tamil (which is non-Indo-European and
  certainly does not represent the "pure Aryan race," whatever that
  is).  If some members wish to pursue aspects of the history of the
  Third Reich, perhaps they could start another list.  George Hart