Indology and "the disastrous ideology of the 'pure Aryan race'"

Lars Martin Fosse lmfosse at CHELLO.NO
Wed Jan 10 17:35:07 UTC 2007

Matthew Kapstein wrote:

> It may be well to recall that Indology is not the only field
> in which questions of the nazi or far-right ideological
> background of certain figures has become controversial
> (Heidegger in Philosophy, Paul de Man in Literary Theory,
> Eliade in Religion, G. Frege (who of course long preceeded
> the nazis) in symbolic logic, etc., as well as the many
> Japanese militarists who resurfaced in prominent academic
> positions after the war).

And let us not forget the Leninists, Stalinists, Maoists, Italian and
East-European Fascists etc. etc. The role and behaviour of intellectuals in
dictatorial societies is a highly complex matter. It is interesting both
from a historiographical and biographical point of view. But it is not a
specifically Indological problem unless ideological views colour a scholar's
Indological production to the point where it becomes irrelevant. To claim
that X was a Nazi is less interesting than demonstrating that X's Nazi views
had a clear impact on his scholarship.

We have to live with the fact that if a great mathematician becomes a
mass-murderer, he does not become a lesser mathematician, only a more
revolting human being. Moral or political deficiencies in a scholar or
artist are not necessarily relevant to the evaluation of their production.

Lars Martin Fosse

From:
Dr.art. Lars Martin Fosse
Haugerudvn. 76, Leil. 114,
0674 Oslo - Norway
Phone: +47 22 32 12 19 Fax:  +47 850 21 250
Mobile phone: +47 90 91 91 45
E-mail: lmfosse at chello.no
http://www.linguistfinder.com/translators.asp?id=2164