Why Teach or Study Sanskrit?

John C. Huntington huntington.2 at OSU.EDU
Thu Jan 4 17:59:12 UTC 2007

Sorry for cross posting

I cannot believe, that I am writing this after all the discussion
that has taken place on the net.  I am neither a "Sanskritist" nor a
"Linguist"— Just an cranky, old, art historian who has specialized in
Buddhist Art for nearly 45 years.

As "humanists" we study those essential activities that define our
humanity. Regardless of whether it is our inborn nature to kill each
other, make self-realizing and defining art, interact socially, or
discuss human goals and ideals,, we are ever so slightly different
than other members of the animal kingdom in many respects. Language
has long facilitated speculation about human potential. Undoubtedly
the rich Burials  of the paleolithic era were brought about through
the speculation about the nature of death and the potential of an
after life. By the time recorded (regardless of whether it is written
or remembered) language enters the world arena the entire panoply of
religious and philosophical speculations are extant. Chinese, Greek,
Latin, and Sanskrit carry within their gleaming traditions, the
fundamental underlying ideas of humanity at the highest level.
Speculation on what the human mass and what the individual human can
and or should become are explicated by some of the most profound
thinkers the world has ever known. Whether we speak of Confucius,
Plato, or Shakyamuni we speak of persons who altered their world and
changed the shape of humanity.

Sanskrit, with its surviving thousands of texts contains a totality
of positivity regarding the human condition and the potential of
achievement in the human state of existence. One cannot be an
"educated humanist" without a knowledge of one or more of these key
languages. By that I do not mean fluency but an understanding of the
content of the language's literature and to attain that, the would
community needs the scholars of the language who must have the
appropriate fluency to read and interpret the content into modern
languages.

No one questions the need for Chinese, Greek, or Latin in academia.
What kind of preposterous Euro-American centrism suggests that the
Sanskritic base of knowledge is not worth knowing? I truly shudder at
the parochialism of such a view. The South Asian Indic community is
undergoing a vast diaspora at this very moment. When I first moved to
Columbus Ohio to join the university faculty there was virtually no
Indic community present. Today the Indic community number
approximately 5000 and is rapidly growing! The same is true around
the world. What a slap in the face of our neighbors and colleagues!

Knowing the traditions of our collective "fathers" demands that we
study the philosophical and religious speculations of our ancestors
so that we can understand their hopes and aspirations for humanity
itself. Indeed that historical consciousness and collective awareness
of the human past is one of the defining features of being human.

And, for a fifth of the world's population, Sanskrit is fundamental
to that understanding. If plato is required reading , then Nagarjuna
should be also!

John

John C. Huntington, Professor
(Buddhist Art and Methodologies)