dhava/dhavI

Arlo Griffiths arlo.griffiths at LET.LEIDENUNIV.NL
Fri Aug 24 14:01:47 UTC 2007

May I hazard a speculation upon the wording as reported by Himal Trikha?

The Laak.saasuukta of the Atharvaveda (;Saunakasa.mhitaa 5.5 /
Paippalaadasa.mhitaa 6.4) contains a stanza (also attested
as .Rgvedakhila 4.7.5), whose Paippalaada version I have edited and
translated as follows in my thesis:

bhadraa plak.se *ni ti.s.thasy a;svatthe khadire dhave |
bhadraa nyagrodhe par.ne saa na ehy arundhati ||

Gracious you reside on the Plak.sa, on the A"vsattha, on the Khadira,
onthe Dhava, gracious on the Nyagrodha, on the Par.na: so come to us,
Arundhatii!

This suukta contains a forms of and paronomastic reference to the
verb aa-ruh: repeated forms of arundhatii-, aa rohasi in ;SS 5.5.3a /
PS 6.4.5a: v.rk.sa.mv.r.k.sam aa rohasi.

This material contained in the Laak.saasuukta at least speaks for an
association in Sanskritic culture of the lac-insect (here also called
Arundhatii) with climbing on host-trees (v.rk.sam aa-ruh), one of
which is the dhava-. It appears to me that this may have some
relevance to Vidyaanandin's choice of words, if dhavii- is indeed =
dhava-.

Arlo Griffiths

On Aug 24, 2007, at 4:29 AM, Ashok Aklujkar wrote:

> I try not to emend texts, but in the case of the text you have
> cited I have
> a strong suspicion that the original of dhavIm was padavIm, 'path,'
> contextually frequently meaning 'level, status'. Pl check the mss.
>
> ashok aklujkar
>

> On 8/23/07 6:51 PM, "Himal Trikha" <himal.trikha at UNIVIE.AC.AT> wrote:
>> a passage in the SatyazAsanaparIkSA, a
>> text of the Jain author Vidyanandin, that states with regard to the
>> anekAntazAsana, i.e. "Jain philosophy":
>>
>> tad eva satyazAsanadhavIm AroDhum ISTe.
>> So far I translate:
>> "This (anekantazAsana) alone is able to rise up to (being) the
>> possessor
>> of the true doctrine."

Arlo Griffiths
Instituut Kern, Universiteit Leiden