Source of Brahminhood

Patrick Olivelle jpo at UTS.CC.UTEXAS.EDU
Fri Oct 6 01:24:57 UTC 2006

Palaniappan and all: the Vajrasuuci is actually a Buddhist polemical
text ascribed to Asvaghosa, but probably much later, perhaps in the
6th century. So, this is not a Brahmanical position, but a Buddhist
satirical comment on the so-called purity of Brahmins by showing that
even Vyaasa had a problematic parentage.