Source of Brahminhood

Deshpande, Madhav mmdesh at UMICH.EDU
Fri Oct 6 01:44:22 UTC 2006

While the Vajrasuci is a Buddhist text and wants to convey a message that birth is not a determining factor, the texts it cites have their own originally different approaches.  Notes and parralel passages provided in the edition of Vajrasuci by Sujitkumar Mukhopadhyaya (Santiniketan 1960, 2nd edn, p. 38) finds many such passages in BhaviSyapurANa and other Brahmanical texts.  There is a seeming a divergence of opinion between purely Dharmasastric opinions on progeny of mixed marriages and these Puranic passages claiming "tapasA brahmaNo jAtaH".  As I have pointed out in my article in the JIES, however, this difference disappears when one realizes that in all these cases of RSis born from mixed unions, not only with non-Brahmin women but also with female animals, the fathers are always Brahmin males, and this fits with the ancient notions of the identity of the child going by the "seed" (bIja) rather than by the "field" (kSetra), and this is fully in accord with the Dharmasastric opinion of Manu:

     jAto nAryAm anAryAyAm AryAd Aryo bhaved guNaiH / anAryAj jAta AryAyAm anArya iti nizcayaH //
     "A person born from an Arya man in an an-Arya woman may become Arya by his virtues, but a person born in an Arya woman from an an-Arya man is clearly an an-Aryan, this is the determination."
     I don't have a copy of Manu at hand, but I have cited this verse with its textual reference in my article.

Madhav

-----Original Message-----
From: Indology on behalf of Patrick Olivelle
Sent: Thu 10/5/2006 9:24 PM
To: INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk
Subject: Re: Source of Brahminhood

Palaniappan and all: the Vajrasuuci is actually a Buddhist polemical
text ascribed to Asvaghosa, but probably much later, perhaps in the
6th century. So, this is not a Brahmanical position, but a Buddhist
satirical comment on the so-called purity of Brahmins by showing that
even Vyaasa had a problematic parentage.