Uha

girish jha jhakgirish at YAHOO.COM
Sun Nov 19 18:12:57 UTC 2006

Dear Lars,
The term "Uha"is chiefly connected with the context of
Prakrti and Vikrti injunctions of the Mimansa.The
injunctions where all subsidiaries are mentioned are
called prakrti and those where all subsidiaries are
not mentioned are called vikrti.There is a
maxim,prakrtivad vikrtih kartavya.This has been quoted
by Kaiyata in his comm.pradipa and borrowed an example
from the Mimansa;a vedic mantra for Agni:
Agnaye tva justam nirvapami.thereafter it is the
statement that one desirous of Brahmavarcasa[Divine
radiance]should offer caru[libation]to Sun.Here the
mantra is modified by making some alterations
i.e.Suryaya in place of Agnaye.
As such,uha should be rendered by
modification.However, its use in Kamasutra may be
understood as the general use of Adhyahara[guess].
Girish K. Jha Dept of Sanskrit Patna Univ. India
--- Lars Martin Fosse <lmfosse at CHELLO.NO> wrote:

> Dear members of the list,
>
> I have tried to find a good English translation of
> the grammatical term Uha,
> and I am not sure I am happy with what I have found.
> Is there a vaiyAkaraNa
> out there with a good suggestion? Something that
> sounds "modern"?
>
> Lars Martin Fosse
>

> From:
> Dr.art. Lars Martin Fosse
> Haugerudvn. 76, Leil. 114,
> 0674 Oslo - Norway
> Phone: +47 22 32 12 19 Fax:  +47 850 21 250
> Mobile phone: +47 90 91 91 45
> E-mail:  <mailto:lmfosse at chello.no>
> lmfosse at chello.no

http://www.linguistfinder.com/translators.asp?id=2164

The all-new Yahoo! Mail beta
Fire up a more powerful email and get things done faster.
http://new.mail.yahoo.com