source of Sanskrit half-;sloka in Hindi piece

Arlo Griffiths arlo.griffiths at LET.LEIDENUNIV.NL
Mon Nov 7 12:41:32 UTC 2005

Thanks to Marina Orelskaya, Madhav Deshpande, Somdev Vasudeva, and
Yuko Yokochi for responding to my query so helpfully. Alas the source
remains untraced.

To answer Yuko's question about the context, here is what our
graduate student writes to me (quickly translated from the Dutch):

"I would not expect too much from the context for the meaning of the
verse. The piece is a farce with lots of dirty jokes, and the person
citing the verse is a Bengali who is depicted as a dumb and
unreliable figure. It may very well be his is trying to show off his
would-be knowledge by reciting a piece of (grammatically and
metrically) incorrect Sanskrit. But the context is this: the Bengali
is speaking with a dumb pandit. The pandit is quite impressed.
huqqevaalaa: bai.thie - ab sab dharmm lop ho gaye - aur devtaa bhii
cale gae - kyo.mki:
[half-;sloka]
gobarganes: haa.m, mahaaraaj! ab to sab devtaa bhi u.th gaye.
huqqevaalaa: par keval hari kaa naam hii pratyak.s hai - "harer
naamaani kevalam".
gobarganes: haa.m, mahaaraaj aisaa hii hai.
[Then the waterpipe-smoker tells how he gave a dried out tree water
and brought it back to life. Gobarganes declares that the Huqqevaalaa
is an incarnation of the .R.sis.]"

I don't suppose the added verse-quarter (assuming it forms part of
the same ;sloka) will be of much help to trace a source, at least
none of the e-texts at my disposal yields a match for harer naamaani
kevalam.

Best wishes,

Arlo Griffiths