Indologists can use new VoIP technology to save on communication costs

Sudalaimuthu Palaniappan palaniappa at AOL.COM
Wed Feb 23 03:08:36 UTC 2005

I prefer not to use Skype because there is a very important difference in
technology between Skype and Damaka. From what I understand, Skype is a
multi-hop technology in that your computer becomes a node in the Skype
network and other people's calls will also be going through your computer.
Damaka is a single hop technology. The calls go directly between the two
parties talking. As a result damaka is a very secure technology.

A friend of mine sent the following excerpt from his Skype License
Agreement which he had agreed to without really reading it until I asked
him to check it.

"Article 4    Permission to Utilize

4.1    Permission to utilize Your computer. In order to receive the
benefits provided by the Skype Software, you hereby grant permission for
the Skype Software to utilize the processor and bandwidth of Your computer
for the limited purpose of facilitating the communication between You and
other Skype Software users.

4.2    Protection of Your computer (resources). You understand that the
Skype Software will use its commercially reasonable efforts to protect the
privacy and integrity of Your computer resources and Your communication,
however, You acknowledge and agree that Skype cannot give any warranties
in this respect."

As a result, I do not use Skype.

Regards
S. Palaniappan