Indologists can use new VoIP technology to save on communication costs

Mon Feb 21 00:03:45 UTC 2005

Good point!

Those using Macs: try  skype:
http://www.skype.com/products/

It works on all systems (windows etc.)

Not only (free)  comp. to comp. talk, but also:
from your comp. to telephone numbers in most countries.

In that case it costs you 1 US cent per minute  (put in $10, on your
credit card, to start with)
Obviously useful to talk to your old relatives &  colleagues who do not
use a computer or are away form online services, in the field...

It works fine.  Also conference calls.

(For those who want to talk to me: write, and I will give you my skype
online name.)

On Feb 21, 2005, at 7:03 AM, Sudalaimuthu Palaniappan wrote:

> Dear Indologists,
>
> If you need to talk to Indologists in different countries to plan a
> conference or discuss an article, you may be interested in the
> following new technology
> to communicate with colleagues located all over the world with
> virtually no
> cost.
>
> damaka Personal Softswitch™ is available for free download at
> www.damaka.com/download.htm.
>
> The current product is in beta version and supports IM, free pc-to-pc
> secure
> VoIP calls (upto two lines) with Call Hold, Call Waiting and Music
> On-hold
> features. damaka has plans to release enhanced features in the next two
> quarters.
>
> You need to have Windows 2000 or XP operating system. It seems the
> version
> for Windows98 will be available shortly. Obviously, both parties
> communicating
> must have downloaded the software.
>
> Regards
> S. Palaniappan

Michael Witzel
Department of Sanskrit and Indian Studies, Harvard University
1 Bow Street , Cambridge MA 02138
1-617-495 3295           Fax: 496 8571
direct line:       496 2990
http://witzel@fas.harvard.edu/~witzel/mwpage.htm