Unicode (WORD 2004, etc.) issues

George Hart glhart at BERKELEY.EDU
Fri Dec 30 00:01:11 UTC 2005

I don't think either of these fonts -- or any unicode fonts I have
seen -- has the alveolar letters one needs for Tamil and Malayalam
(and old Telugu and old Kannada) -- an r with a short line beneath,
an n with a short line beneath, and an l with a short line beneath.
Also an l with a dot beneath.  Tiger has Tamil unicode built-in,
along with Devanagari, and both appear to work interchangeably with
Windows.  Unfortunately, in Word for the Mac the Tamil does not work
-- it works in Cocoa applications like Nisus, TextEdit, Mail.  It
would be very nice if we could get a standard Indic Roman font that
has ALL the diacritics we need, including Arabic and Persian,
Sanskrit, Dravidian, and anything else that is generally used (though
I'd draw the line at Emeneau's score or more of diacritics for Toda,
which must have driven the typesetters at Oxford mad -- not every
language has unvoiced plosive retroflex fricatives, or whatever,
fortunately).  It would also be nice to have a good keyboard driver
for the Mac and Windows -- I have one I implemented for TimesIndian
in which the backslash (/) is a dead key and allows one to easily
enter long a (backslash a), etc. etc.  Of course, TimesIndian is not
unicode.  George Hart