Indian Philosophy Brainless?

NAYAK Anand anand.nayak at UNIFR.CH
Wed Sep 22 12:53:02 UTC 2004

Can you please explain what you mean by brain? Thanks. A. N.

Prof. Dr. Anand Nayak
Université de Fribourg/ Universität Freiburg-Schweiz
INSTITUT DE MISSIOLOGIE ET DE SCIENCE DES RELIGIONS
INSTITUT FüR MISSIONSWISSENSCHAFT UND RELIGIONSWISSENSCHAFT
Avenue de l'Europe 20
CH- 1700 Fribourg
Switzerland
0041-26 300 74 38 / 300 74 37
0041-79 306 97 45 (mobile)
Anand.Nayak at unifr.ch
www.unifr.ch/imr

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Indology [mailto:INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk] De la part de Plamen Gradinarov
Envoyé : mercredi, 22. septembre 2004 14:19
À : INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk
Objet : Indian Philosophy Brainless?

Dear members,

Is there an equivalent to brain in Indian darsanas or Ayurvedic teachings?
There is [I]manas[/I] (mind) in the heart, [I]buddhi[/I] (intellect) I don't
know where, but probably in the - and serving as the - universal matrix of
all [I]mahabhutas[/I], [I]cetas[/I] (pure conscious mentality) which
contains and is made up of pure [I]manas-sattva[/I], and all these three are
often referred to as [I]citta[/I] (consciousness).

None of them is even slightly the brain.

Could you give me some guidance in my attempts to find the brain traces in
Indian philosophy?

Thank you,

Plamen
www.orientalia.org