Help with transliteration of zatapathabrAhmaNa

Arlo Griffiths a.griffiths at THEOL.RUG.NL
Wed Nov 3 22:49:48 UTC 2004

I do not know which edition you are using, but it doesn't seem to be
the standard one by Weber:

Weber, Albrecht
1855    The Çatapatha-Braahma.na in the Maadhyandina-Çaakhaa. Berlin &
London [reprint Varanasi 1964, no doubt several other reprints too].

The curved strokes have to be your edition's rendering of this text's
accent marks. Transliterating the  ;Satapathabraahma.na correctly,
especially its accentuation system, is difficult, so be warned.

        An introduction:

O. Böhtlingk, Sanskrit Chresthomathie, notes to his selection from the
(p. 395f. of the 3rd ed. by Garbe, Leipzig 1909).

        Gory details (besides references in Böhtlingk):

George Cardona, The bhaa.sika accentuation system, Studien zur
Indologie und Iranistik 18 [1993], 1--40.

Karl Hoffmann, Aufsätze zur Indoiranistik I, p. 132

Willem Caland, introduction to his edition of the Kaa.nva recension
[Reprint Delhi 1983], chapter III, §1 p. 30f.

Arlo Griffiths