Help with transliteration of zatapathabrAhmaNa

McComas Taylor McComas.Taylor at ANU.EDU.AU
Wed Nov 3 00:56:32 UTC 2004

Dear friends

Allow me to parade my ignorance once more!  I would like to transliterate a section of the zatapathabrAhmaNa (2.1.4.11-12) in which PrajApati creates the world by uttering the three syllable bhUH, bhuvaH and svaH. The quote begins bhUriti vai prajApatiH.

I have two questions:

1. There is a curved stroke like a compressed roman u under the letters r, v and j.

2. The anusvAra in this text has a cipher underneath it that I do not recognise - it looks like arabic numerals 99 joined at foot by horizontal stroke.

What is the significance of these two marks? Do I need to reflect them in the transliteration?

I have never encountered the zatapathabrAhmaNa before. Please don't think too harshly of me!

With thanks in advance

McComas